Get Ahead in Life with These Proven Speed Reading Techniques for Adults
December 29, 2022
Why should adults need to learn speed reading?
Speed reading is a skill that can greatly benefit adults in their personal and professional lives. By learning to read faster, adults can save time and increase their productivity, as well as improve their ability to comprehend and retain information.
Here are some tips and strategies for teaching speed reading to adults
- Set a goal for reading speed. It's important to have a specific target in mind when trying to increase reading speed. This can help provide motivation and give a sense of accomplishment when the goal is reached. A good starting point for adult learners is around 250-300 words per minute (wpm). With practice and dedication, it's possible to eventually reach speeds of 500-700 wpm or even higher.
- Use a timer to track progress. One way to measure reading speed is to use a timer to track the time it takes to read a specific passage. This can help adults see how their speed is improving over time and identify areas where they may be able to improve.
- Use a finger or a pen as a guide. One technique for increasing reading speed is to use a finger or a pen as a guide while reading. This helps the eyes focus on a specific point on the page, allowing them to move more quickly and efficiently.
- Practice previewing material before reading. Before diving into a reading assignment, take a few minutes to preview the material. Look at the headings, subheadings, and any graphics or charts. This can give a good idea of the overall structure and content of the text, making it easier to understand and retain when reading at a faster pace.
- Use the "pacing" technique. The pacing technique involves setting a consistent reading speed and maintaining it throughout the reading session. This can help improve reading speed and comprehension by preventing the eyes from lingering too long on individual words or phrases.
- Take breaks and practice regularly. Reading for long periods of time can be tiring, so it's important to take breaks and give the eyes a rest. In addition, practicing speed reading on a regular basis can help improve overall reading efficiency.
- Use visualization techniques. Visualization techniques involve creating mental images while reading to help better understand and retain the material. For example, if reading about a historical event, try to visualize the scene in your mind's eye. This can help make the material more engaging and make it easier to remember.
- Use memory improvement techniques. Memory improvement techniques can also be helpful for improving reading speed and comprehension. For example, using mnemonic devices such as acronyms or rhymes can help commit information to memory more easily.
- Use online resources and apps. There are many online resources and apps available that can help adults improve their speed reading skills. These resources often include speed reading exercises, tips, and strategies, as well as tools for tracking progress.
Overall, learning to speed read can be a valuable skill for adults. By setting a goal, tracking progress, previewing material, and using visualization and memory improvement techniques, adults can improve their reading speed and comprehension, saving time and increasing productivity. With practice and dedication, anyone can become a faster, more efficient reader.